City Art Gallery – Plovdiv
The official opening of the gallery, at the time called State Art Gallery – Plovdiv, was on March 2 1952. Today, City Art Gallery – Plovdiv has over 7000 paintings, graphic works, sculptures and applied art works, icons, Mexican art and photography.
The Plovdiv collection is among the richest in artworks from the early periods of the development of Bulgarian art. The gallery has a good collection of works by artists who were born in Plovdiv or were related to the city and who worked from the end of 20th century till the beginning of 21st century.
The exposition is housed in the building of the Girl High School which was designed and built in 1881. It occupies both floors following a chronological order. It includes over 200 original artworks which trace the development of Bulgarian visual art from the Revival to nowadays. Renowned artists and style tendencies are displayed. There are permanent and temporary exhibitions.