Monument of Buzludzha
The Memorial home of The Party, known as the “Monument of Buzludzha”, was built on Mount Hadzhi Dimitar (1441m.) in Stara Planina (the Balkan Mountains). The crucial battle between Hadzhi Dimitar’s detachment and the Ottoman troops took place here – a battle that claimed the life of the Bulgarian voivode and leader. The monument was erected on the occasion of 100th anniversary of the founding meeting of the Bulgarian Social Democratic Party (BSDP), held on August 2, 1891 - the so-called “Buzludzhanski Congress”. The monument was officially opened on the 23rd August 1981 and consists of a domed hall and 70-meter pylon. On top of the pylon, there’re two 12-meter-high mullets and the solemn hall with a diameter of 42 m. is decorated with mosaics. Today the monument is in a deplorable state, but its silhouette continues to remind the historical significance of the peak. Each year the Socialist Party organized celebrations for their supporters.