"Petko R. Slaveykov" Square
"Petko R. Slaveykov" Square is among the most popular places in downtown Sofia. It is located at the intersection of "Georgi Rakovski" and "Graf Ignatiev" Streets. Its popularity is mainly due to the open-air book market with booths offering a wide range of book offerings. In the 19th century the place was still called "Kafene Başi ". At the end of 1879 the prominent Bulgarian poet Petko Slaveykov bought an old Turkish house nearby and settled there with his family. At present, the sculpture of father and son Petko and Pencho Slaveikov, symbol of the square, is in its place. The famous sculture was created by the Bulgarian sculpture artist Georgi Chapkanov. The poets are depicted sitting in dignified postures on an iron bench, leaving some space for a tired or wanting a picture passerby. The sculpture was installed in 1998, when the reconstruction of the square was finished – the entire space was reorganized, fewer and much more modern book stalls were erected and a fountain was built.
The Sofia City Library and 'Vazrazhdane"Theatre are both at the square, there're many shops and restaurants around as well.