Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski“
Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski“ is the oldest and largest academic school establishment in Bulgaria. The University was founded on October 1, 1888 as the Higher Pedagogical Course in Sofia affiliated to the First Male Gymnasium in Sofia. The prominent banker, merchant and business man Evlogiy Georgiev made fundamental contributions to the establishment of the educational center.
He bequeathed more than 10,000 sq. m. of land and donated 6.8 million golden leva for the design and construction of the edifice as well as the upkeep and maintenance of the University. The impressive bronze figures of the two patrons – Evlogiy and his brother Hristo Georgiev have been constantly watching in front of the Rectorate ever since the opening at the end of 1934. The University has been bearing the name of its saint patron "St. Kliment Ohridski" ever since 1935.
In time, new wings were added to the main building, new and structures faculties were opened but most are scattered around the city.
At present the building covers a built-up area of more than 30 000 sq. m and having the best Bulgarian scholars and scientists in all fields of scientific research it is the largest and most prestigious research center in Bulgaria. The University has its own publishing house, university library, museum and many more. There’re over 104 Arts and Science majors offered at the University.