Catholic Monastery of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Catholic Monastery of almost 100 years of age, located in the village of Tsarev Brod in the Shumen region. It is the only functioning Catholic monastery in Northeastern Bulgaria. It is also known as a monastery of the Benedictine Sisters of Tutzing “Mater dolorosa.”
At the end of the 19th century Prince Regnant Ferdinand helped his compatriots settle in the Bulgarian lands. A big German community was established in the village and in 1924 four Benedictine sisters founded the monastery under the initiative of Franz Krings, monk of the Passionist Order. The monastery is renowned for its healing ointment produced by the sisters that helps treating burns and skin diseases. The monastery is home to nuns from different countries – Bulgaria, Germany, even the Philippines and South Korea.