The Central Market Hall - Halite
The Central Market Hall (known simply as Halite) is among Sofia's most emblematic buildings. It was built in 1911 in a very important trading-place – the ever-bustling downtown crossroads of "Marie-Luise" Blvd. and "Exarch Joseph", "Dondukov" and then - "Targovska” (eng: Trading Str. ) Streets. The Central Market Hall is the first modern covered market in the country. It was built in place of the old wooden circus "Bulgaria" - a popular place in modern Sofia, where circus and theatrical performances were often held. Turkish delight and Sofia “banitsa” (a traditional Bulgarian food prepared by layering a mixture of whisked eggs and pieces of cheese between filo pastry and then baking it in an oven) used to be the most popular products at the Market Hall, while the ice maker assembly was the only one in the country.
The building is designed in Neo-Byzantine style. The façade is known for its artistic and architectural qualities/merits. The building’s overall architectural merits contributed to its being proclaimed a monument of national importance.
The reconstruction of the building took 12 years but in 2000 it was finally reopened and at present The Market Hall is again a successful and busy marketplace.