Joint urban cultural development of the Danube is starting!
Kick Off conference of the interregional project “DANUrB" - DANube Urban Brand, financed by the Interreg Danube Transnational Program 2014-2020, takes place in Budapest, 15 February 2017, gathering more than 150 representatives from 7 Danube countries.
“DANUrB” is the international project, aimed to construct regional network building through tourism and education to strengthen the “Danube” cultural identity and solidarity. One of the most important aims is creation of a common brand by fostering transnational cultural ties between the settlements along the Danube, and by exploring the unused or hidden cultural and social capital for a better economic and cultural return. The main goal of the project is to create a comprehensive spatio-cultural network, a “Danube Cultural Promenade” connecting all communities along the river, unifying these into one tourism destination brand, offering thematic routes and development possibilities that can increase the number of visitors and can prolong their stay in the region. DANUrB aims to reveal the underused cultural heritage and resources (industrial heritage, heritage of the communist past, fortifications, traces of commerce, living cultural traditions) in towns by the Danube. Research aims to map all cultural resources and all possible typologies of the built environment searching the possibility of valorization. The outputs as the Strategy and on-site Pilot projects have a promise to bring better access to culture for locals, and better economic benefits based on increased interest of visitors. An aim of the Tours as outputs is to make accessible the unexplored culture of small towns along the river, increasing their attractiveness and competitiveness with neighboring big cities.
1) Onsite spatial, cultural and heritage research, done by several international workshops (researchers, experts, students, communities) and local studies will provide practical data of particular situation;
2) "DANUrB Strategy" will be written to formulate common spatial-cultural strategic action plan;
3) Danube Cultural Promenade will become a platform for cultural network and joint urban development;
4) Mobile application "Pocket guide" will connect all cultural and heritage data in special tours which can be used by any tourists all over the world, simply and for free downloaded to smart phone;
5) Pilot activity with exhibitions, festival's,; open discussions and installations will be done in towns along the river to show and test practical connections of Danube communities and implementation of project Results.
The project DANUrB is developed by the Lead Partner - Budapest University of Technology and Economics (BME) - one of the leading education institutions in Hungary and in Europe. 7 universities, 6 national research institutes and socio-cultural NGOs, 8 touristic enterprises and non-profit organizations, 18 regional and local municipalities from 7 countries are working together to boost Danube development as one strong and sustainable touristic and cultural destination.
ERDF Partner 6 - National Tourism Cluster "Bulgarian Guide"
For more information and possibility of cooperation, please, contact:
Mr. Georgi Yordanov, Project Communications&Tourism Manager